Elder
Nelson said this in August 2012, in his talk titled, Disciples of Jesus Christ
- Defenders of Marriage, "The greatest guardians of any and all virtues
are marriage and family. This is particularly the case with the virtues
of chastity and fidelity in marriage, both of which are required to create
enduring and fully rewarding marriage partnerships and family
relationships. Male and female are created for what they can do and
become, together. It take a man and woman to bring a child into the
world. Mothers and fathers are not interchangeable. Men and women
are distinct and complementary. Children deserve a chance to grow up with
both a mom and a dad."
I have a
testimony of the importance of traditional marriage. I believe that
marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God, it was created that way
from the beginning, and it is not and will never be up to men/women to change
that definition. I have confidence that a marriage with both a
mother and a father is the best possible situation for children to be raised. Men
and women are very different and each have very important and different roles
which together can strengthen their marriage and also bless the lives of the
children that are born to them.
I recently
read several sections of the summary of the opinion of the Supreme Court in
Obergefell vs. Hodges (2015), in which same-sex marriage was legalized. I have
a few close friends that support same-sex marriages and are well read about it.
I often don’t know what to say in defense of traditional marriage because I am
not very knowledgeable on the subject. It was helpful to read both
the supporter’s opinion as well as the dissenter’s. After reading
through the summary, I gained more sympathy and understanding for those seeking
the legalization of same-sex marriage but learned quite a bit more that
affirmed and strengthened my testimony of the importance of marriage being
between a man and a woman.
We as
members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints have a
responsibility to actively promote and defend traditional marriage. There
are several ways we can do this in our families, in daily conversations, and
when participating in social media. Some suggestions for advocating
traditional marriage in our families include teaching and testifying of the
truths taught in The Family: A Proclamation to the World. We can
help our children understand the sacredness of marriage and family and help
them gain testimonies of this. We can spread the joy of traditional marriage by
posting marriage quotes from our living prophets and apostles on Facebook
and/or Instagram. I am more encouraged and determined to be a more prayerful
advocate of traditional marriage in all I do.
No comments:
Post a Comment